Contributing to the project
We need an enormous amount of help to make Awala realise its full potential. Read on to learn how you can help us get there.
We recommend that prospective contributors familiarise themselves with the code of conduct and the Awala Way.
Current priority areas
- Spread the word about Awala, especially amongst diaspora communities.
- If you’re an Android developer, consider building or prototyping an Awala-compatible app.
- If you’re a UX designer and have experience with Offline First / Delay-Tolerant Networking, please give us feedback on our UX guidelines for service providers.
Upcoming priority areas
Please bear with us whilst we pave the way for people to contribute to the items below:
- Test the Awala and courier apps on Android, and give us feedback on the forum. We’re particularly keen to hear whether anything breaks on older phones. This is blocked by the release of the Awala Ping for Android (due by early April 2021).
- Build or prototype Windows/Linux apps once we release the Awala app for desktop.
- Translate the Android and desktop apps to your native language(s). This is currently blocked by two things:
- We want to wait until the text has been finalised.
- We need to identify and provision the translation service we’ll use, and integrate it with our automated release processes.
- Review our plan for all Awala services to circumvent Internet censorship based on deep packet inspection.
Subscribe to our newsletter below to be notified about new ways to contribute to the project.
Please refer to our documentation for contributors on GitHub.
Protocol and code reviews
An earlier version of the protocol suite was independently assessed and we’ll arrange for the initial implementation of Awala to be independently audited too. However, we want Awala to be throughly reviewed before we put it in front of at-risk users, so please:
- If you have a background in cryptography and/or networking, consider reviewing the specs, and the apps and libraries we’ve built so far – in particular:
- If you’re an SRE or SecDevOps engineer, consider reviewing the cloud infrastructure for the Awala-Internet Gateway instances operated by Relaycorp.
Please refer to our security policy if you find a security vulnerability.
If you’re an organisation interested in contributing to Awala, please contact Relaycorp.
We’d love to start the following projects, but they’re not within the scope of Awala strictly speaking and our resources are extemely limited, so it’s unlikely we’ll do so any time soon. We’d be willing to participate if someone else were to take the lead.
- Research and document User Experience best practices in Delay-Tolerant Networking.
- Implement service to alert to potential Internet/telecommunications blackouts.
- Research and document practical uses of steganography at scale, so that we can eventually use it. We’re particularly interested in approaches that wouldn’t turn into a whack-a-mole game with censors.